Thursday, December 14, 2006

The good and the bad(?)......

Today's encounter..... well, it isn't really the kind of responses that I would consider as extremes, but they did put a lasting impression.

The morning started off rather slow even as the pre-lunch time traffic trickled pass. Shops were just opening and most who passes by are mainly people on their way to work or who are heading for a particular place. The lunch time crowd also hardly paused in their pace towards the end of the mall. It was already pass 2pm when the lady with her daughter strolled over to make the donation. I would say that, this was by far the single largest donation I have seen. It is sure a spirit booster for the few of us volunteers, knowing that there are people with such a large heart for the worthy cause. It definitely would benefit many children in the program. What a blessing!
As the day wore on, the well wished donations built up. Tired, but yet happy.

My shift was ending soon when this guy came by. Stout sized, with this dark sunglasses and rough jacket, looked every bit a ..... well, a rough guy. He said he came specially down to the mall, which is out of the way for him from work or home, to visit us. It was not so much as to donate, but to find out more and to clarify some of his doubts and questions. Obviously it's not a easy one answering his questions since I, myself are not familiar with the organisation. I do detect a sceptical tone within the first few minutes of the conversation. The conversation continued as I sidestepped those questions that I was not prepared to answer. Afterall, I am not a staff but just a volunteer. And interestingly, we touched on other topics including, the many aspects of life - a little on politics, a little on day-to-day observations, some personal views, philosophy,..... and even a little personal details about him. It was by far one of the most interesting conversations I had while here. Anyway, at the end of some 20 mins, he did make out a small donation.

I suppose I am turning out to be a pretty good "fund raiser" after all... hahaha........ but really, this is one of the more interesting aspect of reaching out. The donors are no longer just a fund raising target, but one whom you can relate to, whom you get to know a little about, and one whom you would get to remember, at least for a while... and perhaps to remember in prayers too.

No comments: