Saturday, January 6, 2007

Sympathetic or pathetic

I had seen the old lady (perhaps in her late 60s) many times. She sells tissue papers, moving from tables to tables in the various coffee shops in this neighbourhood. The bag she carries with her have some crudely written words.... asthmatic, supporting self. Occasionally, I give her a dollar. I suppose is because of admiration for someone who despite her age, still works for her living.

But, I was somewhat taken aback, when I saw her pick up the leftovers from some of the dinner plates on tables vacated, and stuff them into pastic bags that she took out from her bag. It's more despairing than I thought. I suppose poverty is still very real in Singapore.

There's also that young man, whose's limps and form could hardly support his movements, and even speech. All he could do is to sit on a mat and sells tissue papers to passers-by. Despite his handicap, he still strives to make the effort to earn a living.

The guy outside the NTUC supermarket plays a stringed chinese instrument, I think it's the yue-chin. Not exactly good music, but it's still a tune. He even tried Jiggle Bells with it. The metal tin in front of him says "Thanks for your reward".

I remember also seeing a blind Indian lady, who busks occasionally near the MRT station. Nice music, good voice.

I suppose all these are people erking out a living in their own ways. My sympathies, but honestly, how much, how many can I help?

But on the other hand, there's that middle-aged indian man who sits near the escalator leading to the MRT station. The harmonical in his hands monotonously emits 2 or 3 notes,... not even a tune. Or occasionally, there's this young man (seen him many times in the neighbourhood), able bodied, who come round and asks politely if he could have $2 or $3 for meals. Said he'd out of job for some time. But I suppose his hollow eyes tells a different story.....

These are,..... pathetic.

No comments: