Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The rat's race.....

Woke to a beautiful morning. The rains had ceased although there were still the light showers yesterday afternoon. It would be a good day for my morning jog. It's almost 3 weeks since I last went on the route, so I took it easy. Along the way, said 'hi' two of the neighborhood aunties and also the few familiar faces along the jogging track. The old uncle was walking very steadily today. Had been seeing him exercising regularly since 3 yrs ago. Looks like a stroke had left his right side feeble, but he is improving very well. The group of cyclers was there also, in full force, this morning.

Everyone's relaxed today.

In contrast, an article in today's newspaper, on the front page, mentioned about how some Singaporeans are lamenting about having no time to take their leave. And, even when they are on holidays, they are still working through it. Many even forteited their leave days. Why? Deadlines, heavy workload, no one to cover you when you are away.... all these are just examples of the reasons people gave. This is the kind of stress faced by many in surviving today's rat race.

Sad, isn't it?

For me, a grateful thought. I was familiar with all that. Myself, I had on a number of occasions, forfeited a few days of my leave. Well, not that I am now, out of the rat's race, but, I am glad that at least, I am not caught up in it. And, an even more grateful thought, is that I have a loving and caring God who watches over me. I know I can rest in Him.

The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. - Deuteronomy 33:27

I think, I am, of all people, most blessed!

No comments: