Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Knowledge and wisdom

And indeed, all is vanity and grasping after the wind. For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow. Vanity of vanities, all is vanity........

- Ecclesiastes -


More recently, I had come to realise, just how much in life there is for me to learn and read about. Somehow, it's like an awakening, a yearning to know more, and to know why... but what interest me were not those regular tech stuff that I needed for my work, my profession. I found myself interested in world events, sociology, phsychology, economics, history, ..... there's a whole lot of topics that caught my interest now. But wasn't those the dry subjects that I found myself reluctant to touch on years ago? Perhaps I have been immersed in technical stuff for too long. Not an expert, but I have seen enough of the tech stuff to be able to grasp and understand the mechanics of things very easily. So, maybe I need to explore the other pools of knowledge now....... especially so, since I have much more time now.

But what a timely reminder, as I read Ecclesiastes. All these knowledge is vanity and at the end of it all.... well, sorrow. So, perhaps, I will learn from what the Preacher says in his conclusion:

The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well driven nails. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh. The conclusion of the whole matter.....
Fear (worship) God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all.

No comments: