Thursday, November 30, 2006

For tomorrow, I will lead you out of Egypt

As I flipped thru my little notebook which I pen down notes from the sunday messages, I realised all too soon, it's more than 3 months into my 'break'. The first page of the notebook had registered some thoughts in Jun '06 when I pondered on the question of taking this 'break' from work. Many friends had asked what made me take this unusually bold step? Many reasons, but I guess it's the assurance that God gave ....

The timely sharing of an ex-collegue who had left the organisation a couple of years ago affirmed to the underlying reasons why.... I asked myself, am I moving ahead in my development? I guess it's more paper and management skills than technical competency. What are the visions, and future plans? Which are the works which I can be proud of? Are there fulfillment and satisfaction from the projects I undertake? The issues at work, future directions, company culture, demands.... really, what satisfaction do I derive from my work? Or am I just serving the machinery of the corporation? Questions that needs soul searching answers on my part.

An advertisement at the bus-stop caught my attention.... "Your work should need you more than you need it". I asked myself, "Does my work needs me more that I need it?"

An article in the Sunday Times, "Slow down, it might save your life." by Sumiko Tan. In it she shared about a book "In Praise of Slow..." by Carl Honore, which talks about the modern society's obsession with doing things faster and better and how this has taken a toll. Some things cannot, and should not, be sped up. They take time, they need slowness. When you accelerate things that should not be accelerated, when you forget how to slow down, there is a price to pay. I think I tend to agree fully. The book contends that the key to a fulfilling life is balance - knowing when to work hard and fast, and also when to stop and relax. She also shared her own thoughts on her work life, the stye on her right eyelid that bothered her throughout her holiday..... and making her realise not to be so hard on herself but to love herself more. And end of it, in her conclusion she said, "After all, if I can't be gentle on myself, who's going to be that for me?" How true!

I had prayed over the pending decision, and the affirmation was received when Pastor Louise, while serving communion on that Sunday, said: "The Lord told the children of Israel, 'And thus you shall eat it: with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste; (Exodus 12:11) ....... ' for tomorrow, I will lead you out of Egypt...". I asked myself, what is my Egypt? Wasn't there the bondage by my work? bondage by the office system? bondage by the organisation culture? Clearly, I have been in my Egypt for too long.

And God's assuring words were... "for tomorrow, I will lead you out of Egypt". He will personally lead me. And just as He had provided for the children of Israel out of Egypt, He will provide for me. I will trust in Him.

No comments: